LJ SMITH homepage STORIES FAQ BIO GALLERY BOOKLIST LINKS

Saturday, February 2, 2008

My favorite quote

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting. — e. e. cummings

This is my favorite quotation of all time. I lost track of it for a while, and then couldn't find it again because there are no words which are particularly unusual, and I didn't want to misquote it completely. But whether you remember the exact words or not, I think that the message is the most genuine I've ever heard. It's a bit sad that the world should be like this, but it is. The world is trying to make everyone into a pod person, part of a herd. (By "the world" I mean society, the media, advertisements and such, not the world of nature). The one thing I would add to this quote is that "This is the only thing worth doing in the world, hard as it is."

So.... Fight!

And come visit me sometime, or let me know what's on your mind. I'm busy but I read every letter and email I get, and I answer them all...eventually.

Lisa
info@ljanesmith.net
http://www.ljanesmith.net/